Are you a writer and fancy the idea of using your iPad to create more content? You are probably just a student and would love to utilise your device to complete pending assignments. Or you’re creative and need to take notes whenever an idea pops up unexpectedly.
You might be unaware, but the iPad contains numerous applications for writers and editors. Selecting one that meets your writing needs might be challenging. We’ve combed through the web, and here are the ten best iPad apps for writers.
- iA writer
- Apple notes
- MS Word
Before proceeding further, it’s essential to understand what to look for in an iPad app. Therefore, here are five factors to guide your app selection.
- Compatibility. Apps are designed differently depending on your device. Ensure there is enough space to accommodate your desired app. You’ll need to find out whether the app is compatible with other tools.
- Price There are a lot of free applications. However, others can be acquired at a fee, while others will require you to upgrade your plans.
- Performance. As a writer, you need to be clear about what you want to write. How do you intend to use the app? And what features would you like to see?
- User experience. A customer rating defines the performance of the app. Go through the reviews and identify the pain areas. If they are persistent, that app is not for you.
- Support. Check out the options available to contact the customer support team. It’s essential to understand the support structure before things get worse.
As well as covering the main features, the review will also show you who’s best suited to using the app and their ratings and prices. Let’s dive right in to find out more.
Byword is an excellent choice for writers who create content for websites and blogs. It incorporates Markdown capabilities and is accessible via the iPad, iPhone, and Mac, and this allows you to convert your writing into PDF and HTML.
Besides offering a great text editor, the app allows users to publish their content on Medium, WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr, and Evernote.
Other prominent features include;
- Manage your work both online and offline.
- Dark theme
- Screen splitting
- Word and character count
- Grammar checker
- Incorporated dictionary
The app is best suited for blog writers, student notetaking, and drafting an official email.
Rating: 4.4 stars
The iA writer is designed with a minimalistic user interface. It stays clear from all the other non-writing features and provides the users with the needed environment to write.
The iA Writer is a four-time award winner with commendations from The New York Times, The Guardian and Wired.
Some of the notable features include;
- Markdown support
- Focus mode
- Dark theme
- Save and share content as PDF or HTML
- Direct posting to WordPress and Medium
- In-built editor
- Built-in dictionary/ thesaurus/ rhyming dictionary
- Offline and online writing capabilities
The app is best suited for blog writers, authors and anyone doing notetaking.
Rating: 4.5 stars
Price: Get it at $29.99
Ulysses is another writing app with minimalistic features that allow users to focus on writing. You can access it from either an iPad, an iPhone, or a Mac. This app enables creatives to capture their ideas while on the go.
The key features include;
- Subscription option
- A 14-day trial
- Grammar and spelling checker
- Available in over 20 languages.
- Word count
The app has a minimalist user interface with the main focus of giving the writer space to focus and write.
The app is best suited for blog writers, screenplay writers, to-do lists, and novel authors.
Rating: 4.5 stars
Available for a monthly price of $5.99.
The GoodNote app is ideal for organising and capturing ideas, thoughts, concepts, etc. All this is achieved by putting them down in a digital notebook, and you can access them on all of your devices through the iCloud platform.
Key features include:
- The app syncs with iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive.
- There is a variety of editing, formatting, and writing templates.
- Presentation capabilities are available.
- Ease of sharing using a link.
- Simplified editing function.
- Use the keyboard or the Apple pencil to write your notes.
You can use it as a student, during a meeting, to plan your to-do list, or on your shopping list during a meeting.
Rating: 4.8 stars
Price: Free an option. Upgrade for additional features at a price of Price: $7.99.
Journaling requires practice, and the best ideas often show up when you least expect them. The Simplenote app helps you create, organise, and execute your plans, and you can sync it with your mobile devices for ease of access.
The key features to look out for include:
- Ease of team collaboration
- Organise your notes into tags and folders.
- Publish directly to wordpress
- Markdown component
- Find and replace option
- Use a password to lock your notes.
- Available in 20 languages.
It’s ideal for anyone who enjoys journaling, taking notes, learning, and working with lists.
Rating: 4.8 stars
Notability is another great digital tool for notetaking and organisation. It is available on Mac, your iPhone and iPad devices. It’s been featured as Apple Editor’s Choice on various occasions as ranked highest on the App store.
Some of the prominent features to note include:
- Presentation mode helps you showcase your ideas on an external display.
- Record, save, and playback options.
- Ease of navigation with a drag and drop option
- Variety of tools, formats, fonts and layouts to choose from
It’s ideal for teaching, group presentations, notetaking, and creative writing.
Rating: 4.7 stars
Price: Free option. You can upgrade to a monthly $2.99 or an annual subscription of $11.99.
Writing gives birth to ideas, and AppleNotes is a companion that should help you capture those moments. The app syncs with iCloud and is available on all Apple mobile devices.
It’s not only for note-taking but also to capture images, documents, and website links.
What are the key features of this app:
- Scan photos, documents, and images.
- Create charts
- Secure using a passcode
- Collaborate and share concepts with teams.
- Available in over 30 languages
The app is suitable for writers, journalists, writers, students, and professionals.
Rating: 3.5 stars
This is a great app for writers who are stagnant at the beginning or finishing that book. The app is designed to help writers accomplish what they started at each stage of their writing journey.
You can start by writing your plot, making an outline, breaking down your thoughts, and planning out your book. You can break down your manuscripts into sizeable pieces of content for you to follow through. Some of the other distinct features include:
- Useful editing tools like comments, highlights, etc.
- Various templates and formatting options exist.
- Customisable keyboard to suit the user.
- Compare research drafts and written content on screen.
- Multitasking screen split.
- Sync with iCloud and Dropbox.
- Organise and track your work using labels.
It’s ideal for screenplay writers, novelists, and authors.
Werdsmith is designed with the writer in mind. It encourages you to give it your all and, in the end, brings out the best in you. From setting time limits to giving you writing prompts, this app provides you with the needed tools to finish writing.
Werdsmith journeys with you from planning your idea to giving it life and ultimately publishing it. Some of the notable features in the app include:
- Varied fonts and layouts are available.
- An AI idea generator.
- Passcode security option
- Filing system with folders
- You get to personalise your theme selection.
- Option to auto-save
- Cloud-based text editor
- Make any necessary changes to the font's colour and size.
It’s ideal for screenplay writers, novelists, and poets.
Price: Free. Get an upgrade by purchasing a monthly or annual subscription for $4.99 or $49.99.
Whether handling a class assignment or delivering a multimillion-dollar project, Ms. Word is your trusted writing partner. You can easily create, copy, paste, edit, and share your ideas. It’s available on your iPad and iPhone devices.
It’s flexible and available in desktop and mobile versions. Other features to look out for include:
- There are numerous templates for business or personal letters or posts.
- Strong formatting options
- Work and share concepts with teams.
- Sync with other mobile devices.
It’s ideal for students, resume writing, authors, bloggers, etc.
Price: The app is free. However, you can get additional features for personal and business use, which cost $6.99 and $10.99, respectively.
These applications can boost your writing, and they allow for remote access. So, make the most of these top iPhone writing applications to improve your skills.
This article has demonstrated some fascinating possibilities for taking notes on your iPad. It's now easier than ever to acquire the benefits of pen and paper writing without sacrificing the organisational capabilities of digital tools.
Writing should, of course, become a habit. Select a suitable option from one of the ten best iPad apps for writers and reap its benefits.